[ARMedslack] Mounting installer initrd on Chrome OS: would it work

Ottavio Caruso ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 21:41:42 UTC 2012

On 18 November 2012 11:43, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:
>> before I attempt to so something stupid, would it work if I mounted
>> the Slackware installer initrd onto Chrome OS and then I attemped an
>> installation on a local partition? (Yes, I know it's not elegant, but
>
> You wouldn't mount it, you'd just unpack it into a dir and chroot
> into it.

Thanks, but now I'm proper confused, and by the way which initrd
should I choose? I've downloaded the initrd-versatile.gz.

After 'gunzip', I am left with a single file:

chronos at localhost ~ $ ls -al Downloads/initrd-versatile
-rw-r--r-- 1 chronos chronos 13850624 Nov 18 20:49 Downloads/initrd-versatile

chronos at localhost ~ $ fdisk -l Downloads/initrd-versatile
Disk Downloads/initrd-versatile: 13 MB, 13850624 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1 cylinders, total 27052 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

This is not what I expected.

The thing is I am sure I've done this before on the x86 but I don't
remember how.

And by the way I don't have cpio here, do I need it?

--
Ottavio