[ARMedslack] Mounting installer initrd on Chrome OS: would it work

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sun Nov 18 11:43:42 UTC 2012

> before I attempt to so something stupid, would it work if I mounted
> the Slackware installer initrd onto Chrome OS and then I attemped an
> installation on a local partition? (Yes, I know it's not elegant, but

You wouldn't mount it, you'd just unpack it into a dir and chroot
into it.

You'd need to mount /proc, /sys and /dev into the chroot. I think you can
use the bind option to mount:

from mount(8):
"       The bind mounts.
              Since Linux 2.4.0 it is possible to remount  part  of  the
file
              hierarchy somewhere else. The call is
                     mount --bind olddir newdir"

So I think you can mount the chrome's /dev and so on into the dir into
which you'll chroot.

It *might* work - but probably would need some hacking about in places.