[ARMedslack] kernel setup linux-2.6.38.3

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sat Apr 23 08:09:46 UTC 2011

> Fusion MPT device support
>   (this is a hardware RAID SCSI controller ... I doubt anyone will ever
>     have one connected to an ARM based embedde system even if a working
>     pcie slot.
>   )
>
> IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support

There are many other things which are compiled as modules but aren't
needed. One of the reasons (apart from it takes time and there's no
reward) that there are unnecessary modules being built is that some
other modules which *are* needed and can be used, sometimes depend upon
others which cannot.  Without knowing what the dependencies are, they
won't be removed from the config.

However, since they *are* modules, the only slight niggle I have
is that the modules consume extra disc space.
My thoughts are that if anybody cares enough they can review them and
delete the modules they don't need: more over if someone's building an
embedded system, they'd rebuild the kernel with a tuned config file rather
than the kitchen sink config that comes with armedslack.