[ARMedslack] sysctl.conf not applied??

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Mon Apr 4 05:31:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 00:03:10 -0500
Robby Workman <rw at rlworkman.net> wrote:

> I asked this on IRC a few moments ago, but I suspect there are
> a few more sets of eyes here, soo...
>
> Does anyone else try to set various params via /etc/sysctl.conf,
> and if so, does it work correctly?  I set lockd (nfs) ports via
> sysctl params, and on x86* hosts, that works as expected, but
> not on arm hosts.  Here's my /etc/sysctl.conf contents:
>   fs.nfs.nlm_udpport=4045
>   fs.nfs.nlm_tcpport=4045
>
> It's supposed to run from rc.S, and I don't see why it wouldn't
> be, but... on e.g. my NFS server, lockd gets random ports assigned.
> If I stop nfsd and run "/sbin/sysctl -e -p /etc/sysctl.conf" (which
> is exactly what rc.S does) and then restart rc.nfsd, lockd gets
> assigned to port 4045 as desired.
>
> Another set of eyes looking at that would be appreciated.

After more discussion on IRC, I *think* this might be a peculiarity
of having / on nand.  On my SheevaPlug, which has / on an MMC card,
this works as expected without any manual intervention (IOW, lockd
gets assigned to port 4045).  On my Netgear Stora (the NFS server)
and my GuruPlug, / is ubifs on /dev/mtd2, and both of them show
the problem behavior.  I don't know if that's related at all, but
it's something to explore.  However, I must go to bed now, and I'll
not be able to do anything with this tomorrow, but at least I have
an idea to pursue now...

-RW