[ARMedslack] Hello

Claudio Cavalera claudio.cavalera at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 21:36:41 UTC 2010

Thx for your answer Richard!
I've ccopied the ML because I think this stuff could be also useful to
someone else.
Are you also on the #armedslack IRC Channel on freenode?
I really would like to install Slackware on my dockstar. I don't have
made the serial cable yet :-)
I'm sorry you have bricked your dockstar with the rescue system, is it
broken or is it because of your mistake?
(where have you bought your other dockstars? I can't find them
anywhere in Europe anymore).

Anyway could you please help me identify the proper sequence of
commands ? It shouldn't be so long after one has done the tftp and NFS
configuration part on a slackware server.
I've summarized this one at the moment. My goal is to have the
dockstar booting and getting an IP address from the DHCP router as it
already does when it starts with pogoplug. This way I should be able
to start the slackware installer by doing ssh into the dockstar and
without the serial cable. If we can achieve this goal we could write a
guide to share on armedslack also (if we double check the procedure).

Here is what I'm doing, I'm missing something near the end, maybe the
line with the dhcp part (so please read at least the last line :-)

Unplug your internet. You don't want to accidentally stealth update the firmware

Unplug your USB drives and boot to PogoPlug OS

Log in via SSH as root, the default password is stxadmin, this may
have changed if you registered with PogoPlug

Remount the file system read and write with: mount / -rw -o remount

edit or create /etc/hosts to add these lines:
127.0.0.1 service.pogoplug.com
127.0.0.1 pm1.pogoplug.com
127.0.0.1 pm2.pogoplug.com
127.0.0.1 service.cloudengines.com
127.0.0.1 upgrade.pogoplug.com
save the file!

Remount the file system back to read only: mount / -r -o remount

Reboot: /sbin/reboot

Install the new uboot version by Jeff Doozan:
cd /tmp
wget http://plugapps.com/os/pogoplug/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh
chmod +x install_uboot_mtd0.sh
./install_uboot_mtd0.sh

activate netconsole as explained here: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14,14
-bash-3.2# /usr/sbin/fw_setenv serverip 192.168.1.38
-bash-3.2# /usr/sbin/fw_setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.229
-bash-3.2# /usr/sbin/fw_setenv if_netconsole 'ping $serverip'
-bash-3.2# /usr/sbin/fw_setenv start_netconsole 'setenv ncip
$serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc;
setenv stderr nc; version;'
-bash-3.2# /usr/sbin/fw_setenv preboot 'run if_netconsole start_netconsole'

then on your linux pc 192.168.1.38:
nc -l -u -p 6666 &
nc -u 192.168.1.229 6666
# run killall -9 nc after you've finished to kill the background nc
process; if you have problems I suggest run nc in foreground in two
separate sessions (e.g. two shells or two screen sessions)

Then enter the uboot prompt by pressing ENTER just after a reboot of
the dockstar

Marvell>>    tftpboot 0x01100000 armedslack-13.1/uinitrd-kirkwood.img

Marvell>>    tftpboot 0x00800000 armedslack-13.1/uImage-kirkwood

setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 kbd=it nic=auto:eth0:dhcp
root=/dev/ram rw;bootm 0x00800000 0x01100000;reset

Thanks,
Claudio