[ARMedslack] guruplug

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Wed May 26 07:53:34 UTC 2010

> > Well, I guess if I/we can ever get this ubootconfig project in a working
> > state, it could use the full filename of the kernel image.

I hadn't thought of that; I think it's a good idea.

> for my project.  I am compiling it right on the plug itself.  I get a uImage
> that doesnt match in byte size (but it is close) and will not boot.  When
> booting my uImage-jjo it says Uncompressing and hangs instead of the
> uImage-kirkwood. Am I missing any patches?

All of the patches applied are in the tree:
ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-current/source/k/sources/linux-2.6/patches/

Also, if you upgrade to the latest k/kernel-source package, you'll have a
fully patched /usr/src/linux tree that was used to build the "kirkwood"
kernel.

If you have applied those patches already, and your uImage file is
*larger* than the one in AS, then what's likely the problem is that your kernel is simply
too large (which is one of the reasons why I moved from monolithic to
modular kernels).  In this case you can either review what you're
compiling in, or adjust the memory locations you load the kernel into (the
0x200000 type numbers in the INSTALL_KIRKWOOD doc).  I copied some
settings I found on the plugcomputer.org forum for larger kernels, so I
can't help a lot there because I didn't take time to figure out how the
new numbers were generated.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org