[ARMedslack] guruplug

Thierry Merle thierry.merle at free.fr
Wed May 26 19:33:02 UTC 2010

Hi John,

Le Wed, 26 May 2010 02:51:29 -0400,
John O'Donnell <unixjohn1969 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Robby Workman wrote:

> >> I'd look around and ask on the plug web site about it before
> >> making such a choice; I'm shocked to see ext2 filesystem support
> >> missing.
> >>
> >> The Kernel package won't install properly to a FAT filesystem /boot
> >> because the "uImage-<archname>" file names are symlinks to a
> >> version-named kernel file.
> >>
> >> You could still work around this manually in the installer, but
> >> I'd wait to find out why ext2 support is missing first.

I prefer the kernel+initrd to be written in flash. This
does not require any u-boot upgrade, and it is quite simple:
flash_erase /dev/mtdblock1
flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
flash_erase /dev/mtdblock2
flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
cat uImage-kirkwood > /dev/mtdblock1
cat uinitrd-kirkwood > /dev/mtdblock2

> > Well, I guess if I/we can ever get this ubootconfig project
> > in a working state, it could use the full filename of the
> > kernel image.  That would require one to run ubootconfig after
> > every kernel upgrade, which considering that we're used to this
> > anyway with lilo, might not be such a big deal...
> >
> > -RW

FYI, fw_printenv/fw_saveenv should work with
this /etc/fw_env.config:
# Configuration file for fw_(printenv/saveenv) utility.
# Up to two entries are valid, in this case the redundand
# environment sector is assumed present.

# MTD device name       Device offset   Env. size       Flash sector
size /dev/mtd0               0xA0000         0x20000         0x20000
Works for me on the sheevaplug.

Hope this helps...

Thierry