[ARMedslack] guruplug

John O'Donnell unixjohn1969 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 06:51:29 UTC 2010

Robby Workman wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:14:33 +0100 (BST)
> Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I guess we need to change /boot to a FAT partition!?!
>> I'd look around and ask on the plug web site about it before
>> making such a choice; I'm shocked to see ext2 filesystem support
>> missing.
>>
>> The Kernel package won't install properly to a FAT filesystem /boot
>> because the "uImage-<archname>" file names are symlinks to a
>> version-named kernel file.
>>
>> You could still work around this manually in the installer, but
>> I'd wait to find out why ext2 support is missing first.
>

> Well, I guess if I/we can ever get this ubootconfig project
> in a working state, it could use the full filename of the
> kernel image.  That would require one to run ubootconfig after
> every kernel upgrade, which considering that we're used to this
> anyway with lilo, might not be such a big deal...
>
> -RW

Actually it works fine under FAT.  Lickety split too.  Its not the same as ext
with the sym links.  But it works great - booted many times over the last few
days.  Works much faster than the ext2load I tried recently.

I have questions still for Stuart.
I tried compiling a kernel with the config from /kernels/kirkwood
I want to use this as a reference to start trimming down what I do not need for
my project.  I am compiling it right on the plug itself.  I get a uImage that
doesnt match in byte size (but it is close) and will not boot.  When booting my
uImage-jjo it says Uncompressing and hangs instead of the uImage-kirkwood. Am I
missing any patches?

John
--
=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===