[ARMedslack] Setting up distcc for cross compiling

Thorsten Mühlfelder thenktor at gmx.de
Tue Aug 31 16:25:47 UTC 2010

Am Tuesday 31 August 2010 14:27:31 schrieb Christophe Lyon:
> > Did you use distcc there, too? What about moving all jobs to the other
> > hosts? I know there are still tasks left for the build host (linking?),
> > but no idea how much RAM they need.
> > But I've already thought that RAM will be a problem. Perhaps there may be
> > some tricks that can help, e.g.
> > http://hostingfu.com/article/compiling-with-gcc-on-low-memory-vps
>
> Why wouldn't you completely cross-build? I mean you don't have to link
> on your ARM box given that you have already installed cross-toolchains
> on your x86 hosts.

How would I make sure that all dependencies will be found then? I guess I have
to set up some kind of chroot with the arm packages installed in? So far I've
only cross compiled programs without any dependencies or kernels.

> > Yes, I wanted to buy a SheevaPlug, but my prefered model seemed to be out
> > of stock at the moment. Furthermore the Dockstar was so pretty cheap (20
> > €), that I just wanted to give it a try. And it looks fine in my living
> > room with the 2.5" disk attached ;-) hdparm gives me a speed of 26 MB/s
> > which is quite OK for an USB drive.
>
> Too bad shipping costs are so high between Germany & France :-(

I've seen it somewhere in France for 19 €, too. But IIRC this was one of these
one-day-offers.