[ARMedslack] Setting up distcc for cross compiling

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Tue Aug 31 12:52:35 UTC 2010

> Why wouldn't you completely cross-build?

I tried when I first started AS back in 2002 and it wasn't a lot of fun.
Some will build nicely and easily, but there are some builds which require
the just-compiled binaries to be executed in order to create data files
or something like that.
Also, when packages supply add ruby, perl, python bits are built, they
look on the system to find what version you have, and then add them to
the correctly versioned directory in your package.
I don't know how you'd get this working easily and with minimal overhead
in a cross environment.

I think since 2002 a lot of work has been done, especially by Debian, to
make packages more amenable to cross compiling, but ultiamtely if you
have a fast enough native host, it's far easier to build natively and
use distcc in the way I do.
At least this is my finding.