[ARMedslack] Setting up distcc for cross compiling

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:55:12 UTC 2010

> PS: Could the 128 MB RAM on my Dockstar be a problem, even if I use distcc?

I compiled MythTV on my DockStar using distcc so my SheevaPlug could
do all the grunt work (not cross-compiling in my case). RAM and CPU
consumption on the 'Star were very very low except linking; I had to
add 32MB of swap to successfully link during one portion of the
compile. So it depends on the size of the software you're compiling --
usually, you will be fine. If you had a hard disk drive, then adding a
little swap is probably all you need.

If you don't want to set up cross-compiling, you can use a VM somebody
else created as a distcc host:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1928.0