[ARMedslack] Mounting root filesystem

Tibor Kendl kendlt at hdsnet.hu
Fri Dec 4 23:32:30 UTC 2009

Hi Stuart, Everyone!

I succeeded to compile the kernel with switching off the vga console as
you advised. I copied the root filesystem from the qemu image with the
installed ARMedslack onto an SD card. With fdisk i created three
partitions on it. One dos type with the kernel and the bootloader
(haret-0.3.8), one linux swap, and an ext2 with the root filesystem. I
inserted the card into the pda and started the bootloader. After the
penguin logo appeared and the kernel massages started coming up on the
pda console, the  booting stopped with an error:
VFS: Cannot open root device "mmcblk0p3" or unknown-block(0,0)
On my laptop with x86 processor and Slackware 12.2, after i plug in an
SD card it can be seen in /dev/mmcblk0, and the partitions on it are
/dev/mmcblk0p1, /dev/mmcblk0p2, etc. Do you think this kind of naming
convention is also valid under the ARM environment. What do you think
could be the device name of an sd card inserted into a pda, and the
device names of the partitions on it?

Thanks:
Tibor Kendl