[ARMedslack] Mounting root filesystem

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Mon Dec 7 14:22:07 UTC 2009

Hi

> pda console, the booting stopped with an error: VFS: Cannot open root
> device "mmcblk0p3" or unknown-block(0,0)
[..]
> /dev/mmcblk0, and the partitions on it are /dev/mmcblk0p1,
> /dev/mmcblk0p2, etc. Do you think this kind of naming convention is also
> valid under the ARM environment.

It's most likely to be the same if you have just one of these devices.

The first thing I would do is to check whether you have the support
for the SD card compiled into the kernel.

If you have compiled the driver into the kernel, you ought to see
some output from it  -- at a minimum you ought to see this:
[   36.873037] mmc0: mvsdio driver initialized, lacking card detect (fall
back to polling)

This is what I see on my sheevaplug which does not have an SD card
in the slot.

Some of the information here may be helpful regarding the SD card:
http://nil-techno.blogspot.com/2009/10/installing-slackware-on-sheevaplug.html

I hope that helps.

--
Stuart Winter