[armedslack] ARM EABI

Sunil Amitkumar Janki psychicistnonconformist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 16:56:34 UTC 2007

Incidentally I found this link to an article on the ARM EABI:

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5920399313.html

It basically says floating point operations are sped up by
more than 10x by using the ARM EABI. As far as I know
this is only supported by GCC 4.

BTW I am building X in Armedslack Current at the moment
using the latest Slackware Current source and adding in
your patches and CFLAGS. Let's see if it works that way.

> Hm.  I try to keep clear of patching the source because it means much
> more of a time consuming job for me - usually I just overload CFLAGS or
> use sed to update a Makefile.  This full time job and life thing makes
> me optimise one of my hobbies as much as possible  :)

The fuse build script is an exception but I did it because setting
CFLAGS didn't work. I usually just grep for O2 so it is not that
time-consuming but I'd rather still do without patches. I have seen
some EXTRA_CFLAGS somewhere though so I'll look into that.

The normal way is to just add the targets to the build script. See
my attached template for an example. Even though I usually don't
build that package anymore it is still the cleanest build script to
serve as a template.

> Oh OK - I have had a look.  How would you differentiate package
> names from the resulting build?

I always build as root so as not to get permission problems.
That's not a problem since VMs are disposable :-)

So for the root user I create a .bash_profile containing a
line "export ARCH=armv3" for Armedslack. For Slackintosh
I would change that to "export ARCH=powerpc" etc. For
one-off builds you can use e.g. "ARCH=xscale ./foo.SlackBuild".

The packages automagically get a foo-*-armv3-* designation
even though the default in the script is still i486. If you fail to
set ARCH on an architecture other than i486 the build script
will not get very far.

> Why do you not tell me where it fails and I will make a note to fix it.
> All of the fixes are in the root directory of the armedslack tree:
> ARMedslack-TODO - TODOs for ARMedslack specific port
> slk-current-TODO - package building progress against slackware-current

Am I doing something wrong? I employ QEMU "kernel/initrd"
booting using your supplied versatile kernel and color.gz
initrd.

I'll try again later but it is not necessary to get Armedslack
installed. I have enough experience in Slackware to somehow
get it to work ;-)

But you're correct that the installer should be fixed to work
on all kinds of platforms so the uninitiated can get it to work
as well.

Regards,
Sunil