[armedslack] Re: RiscPC install instructions for ARMedslack ?

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sat Dec 30 15:56:39 UTC 2006

Hi

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Mark Smith wrote:

> I think I have sussed it ... if I create the partitions (swap and main
> filesystem), then reboot the RiscPC, restart Linux setup then it all
> works .. something to do with re-reading the partition table perhaps ?

Yeah - I have seen this when I'd use HDs that had been used in a PC.
I included 'partprobe' (from 'parted') which is supposed to tell the
Kernel to update partition table changes.
I have patched /sbin/probe to run partprobe if it's running on a RiscPC.
However, after testing today I found that /proc/partitions wasn't updated.

Rebooting is probably the best way.

> "daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
> /lib/modules/2.6.19.1/modules.dep: No such file or directory"

That's OK - I don't include Kernel modules in the initrd; all of the
relevant stuff is compiled into the Kernels provided.

> And when the firlsystem has ben formated with ext2, after it finished
> it complains that the "ext3" filesystem has no journal ?!?

Yeah that's weird.  I see that with qemu and the RiscPC -- it doesn't seem
to cause a problem though, and if you do

dumpe2fs /dev/hdX | less

you can see that the filesystem does not have the journal feature.

I have uploaded some new changes to the color.gz installer image -- now
the sizes of the identified partitions are correct on the RiscPC (it was
just a vanity thing).

How did the install go? Has it finished? :-)
s.