[ARMedslack] New Raspberry PI and Slackware14, my experience so far

Andrei B. andrixnet at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 09:07:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm just trying out my new PI. It is model B, with 512MB RAM.
I did try out 2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian.zip and it works fine.

Then I followed David Spencer's instructions here http://www.daves-collective.co.uk/raspi/ and created my boot SD, while on a separate USB drive I got slackwarearm-14.0

Insert SD, rainbow screen, nothing.

Following the first workaround, I thought I'll try things step by step. I renamed start.elf and then copied that file from the raspbian SD card. There was no loader.bin, either on the card already, or on raspbian, so let's try it this way.
Surprise! It worked. My PI booted and I managed to start
 the installation.

First potential problem : my PI has 512MB RAM, but free shows just under 128. I haven't touched the config yet.

After finishing the install, all instructions, including removing kirkwood, tegra and versatile kernels, and installing the raspi kernel and utilities, and reboot,
Surprise! I see activity on the SD led, but the display is blank. Not even the rainbow.
Wait a few minutes, so it can finish any first boot stuff... Activity seems to follow a single pattern. Eth does no come up. It clearly won't boot.

I see now that the first partition contains different files, a loader.bin that wasn't previously there, config.txt which is empty (0 bytes), and other files.
I import the config from raspbian, to ensure it starts with TV out, but nothing.

Raspian SD card still works just fine, so I know the hardware works.

At this point I'm lost.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thank you