[ARMedslack] slackwarearm on seagate dosckstar

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 14:12:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Davide <louigi600 at yahoo.it> wrote:

> I'ts been a while since I last fiddled with the seagate dockstar ... I
> puklled it back out wanting to involve it on media streaming via DLNA.
> I fiddled with a slackwarearm 14 miniroot image on a versatile emulated
> machine untill I thaught I had all the bits and pieces needed to boot from
> the dockstar ... but when I put the image on usb stick this is all I'm
> getting:

> 2343448 bytes read
> 7314743 bytes read
> USB device 0:1 is bootable
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux-3.8.7-kirkwood
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    2343384 Bytes = 2.2 MiB
>    Load Address: 00008000
>    Entry Point:  00008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>    Image Name:   Slackware ARM for kirkwood platf
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
>    Data Size:    7314679 Bytes = 7 MiB
>    Load Address: 00000000
>    Entry Point:  00000000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
> And that's it ... nothing more on the serial console and nothing on the
> network .... actually it does not even appear to mount the root filesystem
> as the last mount seems to be coherent with the last time I mounted it on my
> PC
> Do I need to recompile the kernel (I'm using the kirkwood uImage) or is
> there something else wrong ?

Hello!
Probably. But we need more information. How did you collect the
information that you've shown us? How is your system (if that term can
be applied) configured? Including how did you connect its serial
console?

I have one here, about all I did was pop off its housing and study the
internals. My other problems were along the lines of setting the boot
blocks to boot from an attached USB key.

Currently I'm running my activities on a plain black pogoplug. Who has
an 8Gig key attached, and one of those portable external drives
attached sized 80 Gig and formatted as FAT32.

I originally had plans to, do stuff with either via the USB ports but
not as if either were wearing drives with stuff on them, but doing
something specific.

I still want to, ah, target my Dock Star but the difficult part is to
workout how to attach that serial console and without damaging things.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com