[ARMedslack] Installing Slackware 14.0 on Sheevaplug (with ESATA)

John O'Donnell unixjohn1969 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 20:22:22 UTC 2012

On 10/01/2012 11:32 AM, Michael Langfinger wrote:
> Partitioning:
> I wasn't able to create the partitions (/boot, swap, root) with fdisk. Opening
> /dev/mmcblk0 with fdisk works, but as soon as you try to write the changes to
> the sd card you get the error message "unable to write /dev/mmcbklk0p: bad file
> descriptor". I haven't found out what causes this problem yet. As a workaround
> you have to partition the card on some other computer (i used my desktop
> computer). Creating the file system with the slackware installer works.

mmcbklk0p is not a valid device.

root at guruslack:/dev# l mmc*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 0 Aug 13 04:00 mmcblk0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 1 Aug 13 04:00 mmcblk0p1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 2 Aug 13 04:00 mmcblk0p2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 3 Aug 13 04:00 mmcblk0p3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 4 Aug 13 04:00 mmcblk0p4
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 5 Aug 13 04:00 mmcblk0p5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 6 Aug 13 04:00 mmcblk0p6
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 7 Aug 13 04:00 mmcblk0p7

If these do not exist on the install initrd that you will have a problem. It
should be there for all plug PC installs.

I always had to partition by hand then run the install to mmc partitions as the
slackware scrips did not detect mmc partitions (unless I altered it). (Pre 13.37
at least)

I run boot/root off mmc on sheevas. Guru uses the USB bus so it is sdb (LUN 1).
My Dockstar is a USB plugged device so it is sda.

--
=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===