[ARMedslack] Initrd fails to mount rootfs

Thorsten Mühlfelder thenktor at salixos.org
Fri Nov 30 13:03:38 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've reactivated my Seagate Dockstar, that was lying around in my cupboard for some month. I did the following:
1. reinstalled Doozans U-Boot to have a clean system to start
2. prepared an USB stick with sda1=boot, sda2=swap, sda3=rootfs
3. untared the Slackware ARM minirootfs to the correct places on the USB stick (slack-14.0-miniroot_27Sep12.tar.xz)
4. changed some U-Boot settings to match my USB stick (rootfs=sda3, ext4)

But while booting the initrd system fails to mount the rootfs. You can find a complete log here:
http://pastebin.com/XLyCFiGV

IMHO the relevant part:
> mount: mounting /dev/sda3 on /mnt failed: Invalid argument
> ERROR:  No /sbin/init found on rootdev (or not mounted).  Trouble ahead.
>         You can try to fix it. Type 'exit' when things are done.
>
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

You can see in the log that the partitions already appear about 5 seconds before the mount attempt and actually it is possible to mount the partition by hand:
> / # mount -o ro -t ext4 /dev/sda3 /mnt
> [  755.989044] EXT4-fs (sda3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

Any ideas?