[ARMedslack] Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

Robby Workman robby at rlworkman.net
Sat Feb 11 21:05:39 UTC 2012

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:12:01 -0600
Robby Workman <robby at rlworkman.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:12:41 +0000 (GMT)
> Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:
>

> > > Starting kernel ...
> > >
> > > Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
> > [..]
> >
> > I wonder though whether the kernel is actually booting but the
> > serial console output has stopped.  Have you tried pinging the
> > machine's IP after a few mins?
> >
> > I pushed out Linux 3.2.5 yesterday to -current.  Does this work?
> >
> > The same problem is reported here though:
> >
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658759:
>

> Yes, I found that, but I *really* don't want to build my own uboot.
> I did that several times before, and as often as not, I had to use
> the openocd stuff to recover the plug :)
>

> > Have a read through that - there's a link to an u-boot patch.
> > The suggestion is that a kernel change has exposed a bug in the
> > u-boot on the guruplugs.  Although as I said, the same Kernel runs
> > perfectly on my Sheevas and OpenRD client; but IIRC the u-boot for
> > guruplugs was never really robust.
>

> Yes indeed, it's fragile.  I'm hoping 3.2.5 is fine, but time will
> tell.  I've pulled the latest kernel from -current, but I was too
> sleepy last night at 0300 to try it.  I'll get there today...  :)

Okay, here's the verdict:

3.2.x simply won't boot -- I just tried 3.2.5 and got the same results.
You'll have to flash a new u-boot.  Best I can tell, there's not one
already built out there floating around on the web, so you'll have to
do it yourself, and here's how.

First, get a git checkout of Marvell's u-boot stuff:
  git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-marvell.git

Make sure you have the 'master' branch checked out:
  git checkout master

Now build the new u-boot.kwb image:
  make guruplug_config
  make
  ./tools/mkimage \
    -n ./board/Marvell/guruplug/kwbimage.cfg \
    -T kwbimage \
    -a 0x00600000 \
    -e 0x00600000 \
    -d u-boot.bin \
    u-boot.kwb

Now reboot the plug and "hit any key" to stop booting and drop
you into the u-boot environment.

Set "serverip" to your tftp server and "ipaddr" to your plug ip
  setenv serverip 10.10.10.1
  setenv ipaddr 10.10.10.2

Grab the u-boot.kwb image
  tftpboot 0x0800000 u-boot.kwb

Erase the old u-boot image and flash the new one
  nand erase 0x0 0x60000
  nand write 0x0800000 0x0 0x60000

For grins and giggles, do this (but note that you might have to
re-setenv all of your env setttings):
  saveenv
  reset

In case anyone doesn't want to build the u-boot.kwb themselves, I'm
attaching my image (gpg signed) to this message: here are md5sums:
  070a4e64fabf2cbeff5778f1702f7f19  u-boot.kwb
  8508eba5be077fca2e446c8998780b40  u-boot.kwb.asc

Enjoy!

-RW