[ARMedslack] Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

Robby Workman robby at rlworkman.net
Sat Feb 11 19:12:01 UTC 2012

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:12:41 +0000 (GMT)
Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> > Starting kernel ...
> >
> > Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
> [..]
>
> I wonder though whether the kernel is actually booting but the serial
> console output has stopped.  Have you tried pinging the machine's IP
> after a few mins?
>
> I pushed out Linux 3.2.5 yesterday to -current.  Does this work?
>
> The same problem is reported here though:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658759:

Yes, I found that, but I *really* don't want to build my own uboot.
I did that several times before, and as often as not, I had to use
the openocd stuff to recover the plug :)

> Have a read through that - there's a link to an u-boot patch.
> The suggestion is that a kernel change has exposed a bug in the
> u-boot on the guruplugs.  Although as I said, the same Kernel runs
> perfectly on my Sheevas and OpenRD client; but IIRC the u-boot for
> guruplugs was never really robust.

Yes indeed, it's fragile.  I'm hoping 3.2.5 is fine, but time will
tell.  I've pulled the latest kernel from -current, but I was too
sleepy last night at 0300 to try it.  I'll get there today...  :)

-RW