[ARMedslack] Upset regarding raspberry pi - unsuported.-Opinion

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Tue Dec 25 17:09:26 UTC 2012

> was worried about the walled gardens and app store culture. So what do
> the Raspberry Pi Foundation go and do? they create a raspberry pi store
> with Debian (Raspiean app store or what ever). enough already, I want my
> children to lean how to programme, not how to download the latest app.

I don't see any issue, myself.

What's stopping them from doing
 # apt-get install python

or whatever programming language of their choice?

Some of the people involved with the development of the RPi developed for
the BBC Micros which is where I got started.  From what I've read, they
want to try and provide a system on which youngsters can develop software,
scripts and so on.  On the BBC, we had direct access to BBC BASIC and 6502
Assembler.  People made some great software in BBC BASIC, and it's where I
learnt started learning about programming and computers.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org