[ARMedslack] Slackware on Pandaboard

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sun Feb 6 21:42:14 UTC 2011

> Note: the pandaboard can boot only from a SD card.

Hmm.  That's a bit yuck.  Perhaps a future boot loader version will
increase the choices.

> My problem now is where to find the Slackware installer (setup) program to
> launch, after booting Angstrom kernel.
>
> I am not expert about playing with boot and installer yet.
>
> Can you please give me any instructions?

Well, that's great news!  I'd like to get a Pandaboard if I can get one in
an enclosure (I'm not a fan of naked boards).

The easiest thing to do is modify the installer script I use that
creates the "kirkwood" installer.

First of all ensure you have a full armedslack-current tree downloaded
(without sources should be fine).

Download this:
http://stash.armedslack.org/scripts/mk-kirkwood.sh

At the top of the script, put
PKGSTORE=/pathto/armedslack-current/

Change SLKARCH to "pandaboard" or whatever you want.

What this script does is to unpack the "Versatile" installer image,
make a list of all the modules it has;
wipe the modules;
unpack the "kirkwood" kernel modules package and using the list of
versatile modules, copy the same named kirkwood modules.
Add a few more kirkwood specific modules;
Package up as an initrd ready to be booted from u-Boot.

So, what you'll need is a collection of the angstrom kernel modules.
Since you've got quite far already, you'll probably be able to figure it
out reasonably easy.

If you have any questions, let me know!
I'm excited to see if you can get dual CPU support working there.
I was reading that you might need to set the max amount of RAM to 768MB
or something like that, otherwise you get segfaults.