[ARMedslack] jeff Doozan's uboot

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Wed Apr 20 12:08:00 UTC 2011

> > Now that I've a developement environment I'll be
> replicating what I did
> > with miniroot to get ap/3G/nas/router on a minimal
> busybox based
> > environment.
>
> So you have a Slackware system with busybox instead of the
> GNU tools? How much
> space saves this?

I'd stripp all that is not needed.
Last time I built a similar emergency system I had, if I remember correctly: busybox, wireless tools, dropbera, vncviewer, dresktop, tinyX, fluxbox and limited hotplug/usb functionality in something like 15Mb.
I think that's still avalible on freshmeat/sourceforge  ... look for clash ... amongst the downloads there should be a small iso images.
I had a look it's still avalible:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bclash/files/iso_images/2/
It has been unmaintained since then ans version 3 remains unfixed.
BTW: the stuff I wrote at the time I had evidently less experience might be full of stuff I myself would find infuriating right now :-D

This time I'll be aiming at making the AP/3G/nas/router fit in a smaller footprint.
The idea would be to have: busybox, wireless tools, udev, usb utils, dropbear, nand utilities and possibly  webserver and some web oriented scripting language.
Web stuff aside it could be a nice small rescue system.

My current armedslack miniroot AP/3G/nas/router fits in the 229Mb data mtd partition. I'm targeting the 32Mb root mtd partition for the reduced busybox setup. But in 32Mb I may not be able to get the web scripting language ... I'll see what I can manage.
My last intel based surap (SUper Router Access Point) setup was less the 100Mb (if I remember correctly) and had apache and php. At worse it will be again more or less the same size.

> > As an alternatibe place to have this would it be a
> crazy
> > thing to have a microroot armedslack ?
>
> The bigges NAND partition on the Dockstar is about 220 MB
> and could be used by
> a rescue/fallback root partition if no USB drive is
> connected.
> UBIFS would be a good choice for it.

I've never used ubifs ... my current setup uses jffs2 on the 229 Mb data mtd partition. jffs2 did a little compression magic and I was able to fit some 400Mb of data in the 229Mb partition.
But once the system is created one can rearrange it for a different filesystem with just a small administrative effort.
root at hp:~/dockstar# ls -l rootfs_ro.jffs2*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 207506392 2011-03-29 15:53 rootfs_ro.jffs2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 217841664 2011-03-30 09:44 rootfs_ro.jffs2.sum
root at hp:~/dockstar# du -ms rootfs_ro
471     rootfs_ro
root at hp:~/dockstar#

Regards