[ARMedslack] Trying armedslack-current

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Fri Oct 8 07:19:09 UTC 2010

> out LUN access and now it shows up properly and now I can boot off the
> onboard micro SD card as there are really 2 devices there with only one
> physically present.
>
> http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1642.30

Is it worth taking this u-boot and putting it on ftp.armedslack.org then?
I have a guruplug u-boot that I took from a Debian developer's page.

If we take this one, do the Slackware ARM Kirkwood installation
instructions still apply?

> for my second X display for World of Warcraft. :0 is my Slack KDE desktop. I
> only have a single core CPU on my desktop.

That's a good idea.  I hadn't thought of that before.  I usually run
X11 VNC on the ARM boxes and VNC in to test x11 stuff.
Although I plan on using the openrd as a desktop machine soon, since it
has video and audio working (we just need some x.org updates first, to get
a decent screen resolution).

> I cannot run either of the dual gigabit ports on the GuruPlug because of
> the known overheating/rebooting issues.  (BAD BAD MARVELL!) I have to

I know Jim on this list has received his guruplug a week ago, and they've
added a whopping fan to it which makes itself known in the room.
Perhaps you shoud send yours back for a swap.

> FATAL: Module uap8xxx not found.
> root at guruslack:/mnt/memory/usr/src/linux# uname -a
> Linux guruslack 2.6.35-kirkwood #2 PREEMPT Wed Aug 4 17:01:31 BST 2010
> armv5tel Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l) Marvell GuruPlug Reference Board
> GNU/Linux
>
> yet in 13.1 it is working fine.

There were a number of patches to the 13.1 kernel:
armedslack-13.1/source/k/sources/patches/esata_sheevaplug_and_guruplug-patchset
but as far as I knew, all of the guru plug stuff was merged into
the upstream kernel:

At present, I don't apply *any* patches to the -current kernel
(which is waiting to be pushed out after Slackware x86 has been)

The module does not exist in the source tree.
root at wizbit:/usr/src/linux-2.6.36rc7# find . -iname '*uap8xxx*'
root at wizbit:/usr/src/linux-2.6.36rc7#

I checked the Debian linux-base package which is at 2.6.36rc6 and
there are no guruplug patches in it.

I remember talking with a Guru owner who needed some firmware for the
onboard bluetooth stuff, but I don't recall anything mentioned about the
network drivers.  If there are any patches, I can add them into the next
kernel build; if someone tells me where they are.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org