[ARMedslack] Trying armedslack-current

John O'Donnell unixjohn1969 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 22:58:26 UTC 2010

To make a long story . . . long . . .

I got my recompiled u-boot to recognize the micro SD card slot and boot off of
it.  So instead of running my GuruPlug from a USB dongle with a 4 GB SD card I
bought an 8gb micro to run the system.  So I am re-installing and testing with
the latest stuff!  I can boot from USB and now the micro SD onboard.

The patch to u-boot changed the way in which the onboard device sorted out LUN
access and now it shows up properly and now I can boot off the onboard micro SD
card as there are really 2 devices there with only one physically present.

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1642.30

I run X windows from the Guru to my main Linux machine as display :2. :1 is for
my second X display for World of Warcraft. :0 is my Slack KDE desktop. I only
have a single core CPU on my desktop.  I wanted to offload my Bittorrents off to
the GuruPlug that also runs my wifi network for my android phone and
occasionally other friends laptops, etc.  It had been helping ALOT and working
GREAT with 13.1 armedslack running Ktorrent remote NFSed to my main system
saving all the data.  So I run the entire KDE desktop from the Guru every day
displaying on my desktop PC.

I cannot run either of the dual gigabit ports on the GuruPlug because of the
known overheating/rebooting issues.  (BAD BAD MARVELL!) I have to plug in a
USB/ethernet to get me network access. It's sad, but it works.  I so wish
Marvell could fix the overheating issue so I could remove all this dangling crap!
http://mrlinux.homelinux.com/guruplug/myguru.jpg

I ran into an issue with the kernel in -current.  It seems the guru kernel
patches to include the wireless AP functionality are missing.  I cannot bring up
the uap8xxx driver.

Reference:  http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2010/05/msg00081.html

root at guruslack:/mnt/memory/usr/src/linux# modprobe uap8xxx
FATAL: Module uap8xxx not found.
root at guruslack:/mnt/memory/usr/src/linux# uname -a
Linux guruslack 2.6.35-kirkwood #2 PREEMPT Wed Aug 4 17:01:31 BST 2010 armv5tel
Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l) Marvell GuruPlug Reference Board GNU/Linux

yet in 13.1 it is working fine.

root at guruslack:~# modinfo uap8xxx
filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.33.5-kirkwood/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/libertas_uap/uap8xxx.ko.gz
license:        GPL
version:        26146
author:         Marvell International Ltd.
srcversion:     A1CB6539A717ACCA9F3C0E8
alias:          sdio:c*v02DFd9104*
depends:        mmc_core
vermagic:       2.6.33.5-kirkwood preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv5
parm:           helper_name:Helper name (charp)
parm:           fw_name:Firmware name (charp)
root at guruslack:~# uname -a
Linux guruslack 2.6.33.5-kirkwood #2 PREEMPT Thu May 27 14:47:11 BST 2010
armv5tel Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l) Marvell GuruPlug Reference Board GNU/Linux

--
=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===