[ARMedslack] guruplug update

John O'Donnell unixjohn1969 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 18:14:17 UTC 2010

Stuart Winter wrote:
>> (.... this is taking a while....
>> minutes later and USB stick still blinking...
>> It didnt take this long to "fatload"....
>> DONE finally! - fatload was pretty instantaneous)
>
> I don't know about that.
> The only problems I have seen are with u-boot's USB support being hit and
> miss -- sometimes it'd find the device, others not; but on both of my
> SheevaPlugs with USB, they boot very quickly using ext2load.
>
> I'd keep an eye on plugcomputer.org for Guruplug u-boot posts.  I'm sure
> you won't be the only person who's going to have a problem.  As with the
> Sheevaplug, someone hopefully will come up with a decent u-boot patch set
> and produce a binary.

Well when I'm finished with the thing, I'll have a JFFS2 (or UBI) fs flashed and
I'll be loading from nand.   But I wanted to let you know what I saw.

>> Going multiuser...
>> Updating shared library links:  /sbin/ldconfig &
>> cannot (un)set powersave mode
>
> Apparently this is because of setterm:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/screen-blanking-out-582748/

Oh!  I never thought about that.  I thought it was a CPU setting thing.  I wasnt
actually asking about that but the next thing....

>> udevd[976]: error binding control socket, seems udevd is already running
>>

>> Triggering udev events:  /sbin/udevadm trigger --type=failed
>> /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
>> /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
>>
>> Is this because udev is already started in the initrd? (I am only guessing)
>
> Yes it's started from initrd in order to populate /dev and pivot into
> the OS and continue from there.
> Before "/init" from the initrd exists, it tries to kill udevd so that the
> copy on the OS can be loaded.
>
> I haven't seen a case on my machines where this doesn't work.
> If you comment out the "setterm" line in rc.M, I wonder if that fixes the
> udev problem?

This probably wont concern me then as my goal is to boot directly to the root FS
without initrd with a custom kernel.  But again.  Just wanted to give you
feedback on what I saw with 13.1.

Thanks
John

--
=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===