[ARMedslack] guruplug update

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Mon May 24 11:29:05 UTC 2010

> (.... this is taking a while....
> minutes later and USB stick still blinking...
> It didnt take this long to "fatload"....
> DONE finally! - fatload was pretty instantaneous)

I don't know about that.
The only problems I have seen are with u-boot's USB support being hit and
miss -- sometimes it'd find the device, others not; but on both of my
SheevaPlugs with USB, they boot very quickly using ext2load.

I'd keep an eye on plugcomputer.org for Guruplug u-boot posts.  I'm sure
you won't be the only person who's going to have a problem.  As with the
Sheevaplug, someone hopefully will come up with a decent u-boot patch set
and produce a binary.

> Going multiuser...
> Updating shared library links:  /sbin/ldconfig &
> cannot (un)set powersave mode

Apparently this is because of setterm:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/screen-blanking-out-582748/

> udevd[976]: error binding control socket, seems udevd is already running
>

> Triggering udev events:  /sbin/udevadm trigger --type=failed
> /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:  /sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
>
> Is this because udev is already started in the initrd? (I am only guessing)

Yes it's started from initrd in order to populate /dev and pivot into
the OS and continue from there.
Before "/init" from the initrd exists, it tries to kill udevd so that the
copy on the OS can be loaded.

I haven't seen a case on my machines where this doesn't work.
If you comment out the "setterm" line in rc.M, I wonder if that fixes the
udev problem?

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org