[ARMedslack] slackware on chumby one

Graeme Wolfendale gwolfendale at gmail.com
Sat May 1 11:04:38 UTC 2010

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the super detailed reply I will try to fill in the gaps below:

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

>> fdisk -l to find out that it is /dev/sdb1
>> then fdisk /dev/sdb1 to make a 1gb linux partition
>
> sdb1 is a partition on "sdb".
> So you want to use fdisk /dev/sdb not sdb1.
>
> Which instructions are you looking at?

I just googled how to format usb drive in linux
>> then mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
>
>> mkdir /mnt/sdb1
>> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
>

>> error no such dir
>>
>> so i try
>> mount /dev/sdb1
>>
>> ok bit more info this time.
>
> You haven't said what information there is or isn't.
> You need to find out what "sd" letter ("SCSI disc") your USB
> reader/microsd has been assigned.
> You can use dmesg | tail -n15  to do this - you should see some info about
> a USB device being connected.
>
> The scsi letter your machine receives depends on the configuration of your
> system.  Some systems will get /dev/sdb, others may get /dev/sda, for
> example.
>
>> so I edit this file by running my text editor with sudo as root, save
>> it with the new line for this usb drive, try to mount again. Still
>> nothing !
>>
>> What am I doing wrong here ?
>
> Without you describing your environment, I'll just have to make
> experienced guesses.
>
> 1. Your *host* (Linux PC) device name - (/dev/sdb you think) has no
> connection with what it'll appear as on the ARM device.
> If the device *does* happen to be /dev/sdb on ARM & PC, it's a
> coincidence in your case.
>
> If your ARM device has only one storage device, then it's probably
> /dev/sda so this is what you'd put into the fstab.
>
> 2. Whose kernel are you using for this device?
> I assume you are mixing some 3rd party kernel with the Slackware ARM
> root fs, because I haven't heard of the "Chumby" before, and haven't selected any
> support for it in the two kernels shipped.
http://www.armedslack.org/
I selected the mini root filesystem:
A mini root filesystem of Slackware ARM “current” is now available
from the FTP site.

> Wherever you got the kernel from ought to include some Linux loader
> information.
>
> This is it?
> http://www.arm.com/markets/enterprise/chumby-industries-chumby.php

http://www.chumby.com/pages/compare
nearly, it's the chumby one, the newer version.

> Heh it looks funny :-)

:) yes but it is cheap, has a nice cpu and display so it seemed like a
nice platform to experiment with embedded linux.

Also as a nice sidenote it is open hardware so there are highly
detailed specs down to the individual chip level :D