[ARMedslack] slackware on chumby one

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sat May 1 10:34:00 UTC 2010

> fdisk -l to find out that it is /dev/sdb1
> then fdisk /dev/sdb1 to make a 1gb linux partition

sdb1 is a partition on "sdb".
So you want to use fdisk /dev/sdb not sdb1.

Which instructions are you looking at?

> then mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1

> mkdir /mnt/sdb1
> mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

> error no such dir
>
> so i try
> mount /dev/sdb1
>
> ok bit more info this time.

You haven't said what information there is or isn't.
You need to find out what "sd" letter ("SCSI disc") your USB
reader/microsd has been assigned.
You can use dmesg | tail -n15  to do this - you should see some info about
a USB device being connected.

The scsi letter your machine receives depends on the configuration of your
system.  Some systems will get /dev/sdb, others may get /dev/sda, for
example.

> so I edit this file by running my text editor with sudo as root, save
> it with the new line for this usb drive, try to mount again. Still
> nothing !
>
> What am I doing wrong here ?

Without you describing your environment, I'll just have to make
experienced guesses.

1. Your *host* (Linux PC) device name - (/dev/sdb you think) has no
connection with what it'll appear as on the ARM device.
If the device *does* happen to be /dev/sdb on ARM & PC, it's a
coincidence in your case.

If your ARM device has only one storage device, then it's probably
/dev/sda so this is what you'd put into the fstab.

2. Whose kernel are you using for this device?
I assume you are mixing some 3rd party kernel with the Slackware ARM
root fs, because I haven't heard of the "Chumby" before, and haven't selected any
support for it in the two kernels shipped.

Wherever you got the kernel from ought to include some Linux loader
information.

This is it?
http://www.arm.com/markets/enterprise/chumby-industries-chumby.php

Heh it looks funny :-)

Anyway you need to provide more information about what you're doing.
It's probably pretty simple to get up and running but there's only so much
I can guess!