[ARMedslack] UBI support is [partially] broken in Slackware/ARM 13.1 on SheevaPlug

Cédric VINCENT cedric.vincent at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 17:07:48 UTC 2010

Hi all,

It looks like I hit the following bug with Slackware/ARM 13.1 on my
SheevaPlug:

    http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubi.html#L_subpage_verify_fail

    "ubi_io_write: error -5 while writing 512 bytes to PEB 5:512"

    If you have a 2048 bytes per NAND page device, and have
    CONFIG_MTD_NAND_VERIFY_WRITE enabled in your kernel, you will need
    to turn it off. The code does not currently (as of 2.6.26) perform
    verification of sub-page writes correctly. As UBI is one of the
    few users of sub-page writes, not much else seems to be affected
    by this bug.

As described in the previous quote, I'm now able to burn my favorite
distro into the NAND Flash by using a kernel without the option
"CONFIG_MTD_NAND_VERIFY_WRITE". Technically, this bug appears on the
SheevaPlug when I run the command "ubiattach" after formatting the MTD
device.

Regards,
Cédric.