[ARMedslack] Missing files in "uinitrd-kirkwood" to support root file-system on SDHC card

Conor McCarthy mr.spuratic at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 23:24:07 UTC 2010

2010/2/18 Cédric VINCENT <cedric.vincent at gmail.com>:
[...]
> Please, let me know if you are using specific mount options for your
> MMC partitions. For instance, I use an ext2 FS with the options
> "noatime" and "async" to reduce as much as possible write cycles.

I have added "noatime", "async" is the default with ext2 AFAIK, no
harm being explicit of course. There's also "nodiratime", though I'm
not entirely sure under what circumstances a directory atime is
updated.

Things I have done/will play with, once I've finished breaking things:
- demote ext3 to ext2 (turn off journal, done, see ext3 FAQ)
- relocate /var/run /var/tmp /tmp as tmpfs/ramfs
- /var/man/cat* -- fix man page cache
- relocate /var/cache/samba if using samba (tmpfs maybe)
- keep (re)reading
  http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/20/aligning-filesystems-to-an-ssds-erase-block-size/
  until I can decide if there's anything I need to do :)
- ditto for Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt, maybe dropping the flush
  timeouts like dirty_writeback_centisecs and dirty_expire_centisecs

Other useful things to reduce disk writes:
- fix syslogd "MARK" (add "-m 0" to syslogd args in /etc/rc.d/rc.syslog)
- move update/slocate db location (/var/lib/slocate) and/or set to run
  weekly, not daily

The system is used for home LAN media/file storage, and will be used
for light web/email soon. I have an external bus-powered USB disk
(Toshiba PX1399E 500GB 2.5", works perfectly with the sheevaplug).
I'd like the system to run without the disk, though generally it will be
attached, so I may end up doing something "interesting" with the
syslog setup. I'm hoping that day-to-day writes to SD will be 0.

Regards,
 Conor.