[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Rich richard.lapointe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 21:12:10 UTC 2010

I wasn't to sure how you got the installer running over ssh, so here's
what I did. First, my dockstar is running Jeff Doozan latest uboot and
Rescue System, so when I boot without any usb drives plugged in it boots
into the Rescue System (http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,831). I
connect to the dockstar via ssh (the rescue system starts dhcp).
Although I do have the serial line running, I just use it to monitor
what going on since I'm trying to figure out how to install armedslack
without a serial line. (I've got two other dockstars waiting in the
wings). Once I'm connected I do the following:

Prepare a directory for change root  file system

1) mkdir /tmp/armedslack

2) cd /tmp/armedslack

Download the armedslack uinitrd (has the installer) and decompress it

# wget
ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-13.1/isolinux/uinitrd-kirkwood.img

# dd if=uinitrd-kirkwood.img bs=64 skip=1 | gzip -dc | cpio -div

Now thing get a little fuzzy for me, since I really don't have a deep
knowledge of what I'm doing. I found through googling that I had to do
the following mounts before I changed rooted into the installer fs. It
seems to br needed to mount a usb stick and its the only way to get nano
running; i don't know how to use vim .

#mount /proc/ /tmp/armedslack/proc

# mount /dev/ /tmp/armedslack/proc

# chroot /tmp/armedslack /bin/bash

#TERM=linux

Now plug in a usb drive, run fdisk or cfdisk and partition the drive.
Since I using Doozan uboot / needs to be on sda1. I partitioned my 4G
usb stick with 3.75G sda1 for \ and sda2 as a 250M swap.

OK, now run the armedslack installer.

#./usr/lib/setup/setup

This will resulted in running the armedslack installer. The only thing
of note here is that I selected a ftp install and connect to the
ftp.armedslack.org using its ip address (83.170.96.167). After
successfully connecting to the repos, I then select the packages and the
installer proceeds to install the packages. With my usb stick and
depending on the packages selected this can take a few hours to install.
I found that using my Seagate Freeagent 500GM disk loads much faster.
Once everything is installed and the setup is complete (network, root
password, services etc) I exit out of the installer and then add the
following sym links since Doozan uboot looks for uImange and uInitrd to
boot.

#cd /boot

# ln -s uinitrd-kickwood-2.6.35.5 uInitrd

# ln -s uImage-kirkwood-2.6.35.5 uImage

Then I exist out of the changed root environment and reboot the dockstar.

After all this and with using the serial output to monitor the process,
the kernel does boot but gets a fdisk error and stalls for 60 second and
then reboots, repeating the sequence over and over. See the attached
file for the boot output and fdisk error from the serial link. It seems
to have something to do with the dockstar not having a real time clock
and getting time stamp errors. I am able to fix this by doing the
following.

1) Add the following line in rc.S right at the beginning

/bin/mount -n -o remount,ro /

2) add an e2fsck,config file to /etc/. The file that i use can be found
here.

ftp://laprjns.com/in/e2fsck.conf

Once I added these, rebooting results in going through a successful
fdisk on the / fs. After completing the fdisk, it successfully reboots
to the armedslack prompt. Since it's fdisk'ing and rebooting it does
take a little while to come up . Also found that once I successfully
booted, I then can remove both the mount line in rc.S and the e2fsck.con
file and boot the system there after.

I sure that there is a better way to get the installer running, but as I
said my linux knowledge is limited.

Regards

Rich Lapointe (laprjns)