[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Fri Dec 10 15:58:29 UTC 2010

> Does anyone know if the pre-compiled ARMedslackware kernel support
> netconsole? (If so, then it looks like the kernel boot crashes before
> netconsole is operational).

It's compiled as a module, so you'd have to include it in the initrd.

I've taken the latest code from kernel.SlackBuild (where the initrd's are
made) and made this script:

   http://stash.armedslack.org/scripts/make-new-initrd.sh

(This is useful for people in general, btw).

This will make a new initrd for the *Operating system*, however, not the
installer.

There's no point in adding netconsole to the installer initrd because the
installer's initrd is quite a different beast and if it's not making it as
far as running the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules-arm script, then you're buggered.

Actually - what driver does the dockstar use for its ethernet?
I assume it's mv643xx_eth -- if not, then that's your problem ;-)
I can't imagine it'd be anything other than that though.

In order to use netconsole with the installer you'd have to recompile the
kernel to include netconsole and the ethernet driver into the kernel
itself.