[armedslack] Armedslack Current

Sunil Amitkumar Janki psychicistnonconformist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 19:48:48 UTC 2007

Stuart Winter wrote:
> Yeah well, the build script doesn't build in the correct order - so you
> need to figure that out, then use the build script to make the
> packages.  I think I have figured out a way to do it but I'm not entirely
> sure.  I will find out soon enough.

I am not really fond of huge build scripts. Not because they're not nice
or useful.
But when (not if but when) they produce errors, you have to fix them and
restart
the entire build script

> This was my original idea but you always need arch specific tweaks, and
> since there's usually only one or a few people working on the port,
> everyone does their own thing and simply takes from Slackware.

There is nothing wrong with that but what I meant to do was rebuild for
a processor
model on the same architecture so building and optimising for a certain
processor
(on possibly another architecture) would be easier the next time.

> I personally find that my way works best for me - I have the original
> Slackware script, and another script that diffs the latest and the
> original.   I then merge anything needed into ARMedslack's scripts.
> I just wouldn't have time to work with anybody else to maintain a
> master source tree for all archs.

That's almost the same way I do it except I copy the original Slackware
script and
add in any changes that I made previously if they're still relevant. And
to get most
of the patches upstream so they would be included in Slackware proper and
benefit all other architectures that way.

That of course depends on Patrick's approval. But I already have made my
first real
contribution to Slackware through the gcc build script that he has
integrated almost
unmodified into slackware-current.

The other one was my advice to him to rebuild oprofile with gcc 3.4.6
for system
consistency, something you didn't/don't seem very happy about :-)

My rationale was that I had some software, mostly QT/KDE, linked to both
libstdc++.so.5 and libstdc++.so.6 which caused crashes and they were
resolved when rebuilt with the newer compiler. This did not occur with the
default i486 builds but it did in my AMD Athlon optimised ones.

> You sound like you're really into the porting business so it's good
> to have someone else testing and working on this stuff :-)

That's what I meant to say. Make it as modular and generic as possible
so you
only have to provide processor model/architecture specific patches. The
first
time will be hardest. Each time after that it will be a lot easier.

See the attached fuse build scripts for an example. Adding another processor
model just adds another patch to the build directory. I have also added
a (very
long !) list of ARM targets that packages could be made for. I have a
few more,
but they're for x86, ppc, sparc and mips.

I have consulted Wikipedia for this but since you're much more knowledgable
about ARM architecture than me you could probably point out some errors.

> I have more updates to push but I can't push them at the moment!
> I'll speak to the admin of that server and ask him to mirror
> from the real master (not ftp.as) so they can get up to date.

That would be nice, especially if you already have some X11 fixes :-).
I'm running Windowmaker in Armedslack 11.0 with xorg.conf-fbdev BTW
and it's pretty responsive.

Firefox and KDE are too heavy but this would also be the case on a Pentium,
so the emulation is pretty accurate in comparison to real hardware.

I'll just try to install my local version of Armedslack Current in a
QEMU VM and
see how far I can get. Using QEMU sure beats buying an ARM Versatile board
for $5000,--, it's just as fast and immensely cheaper.

Regards,
Sunil