[armedslack] Armedslack installer

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sat Mar 31 16:32:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Sunil Amitkumar Janki wrote:

> I have already synced slackware-current so everything is already in place from
> a source code perspective. I am glad they have already tackled the problem of
> building modular X on Slackware Current.

Yeah well, the build script doesn't build in the correct order - so you
need to figure that out, then use the build script to make the
packages.  I think I have figured out a way to do it but I'm not entirely
sure.  I will find out soon enough.

I have uploaded the latest armedslack-current -- but it's missing a lot of
X packages.  I'm going to do another rebuild to get those packages
in, but X still doesn't work inside QEMU.
We'll get there though :-)

> The thing I would like to see is getting all of the different Slackware
> versions for
> different architectures into a single source tree. Then you would only have to
> put
> something like "export ARCH=armv3", "export ARCH=x86_64", "export
> ARCH=powerpc",
> "export ARCH=s390" or "export ARCH=sparc" in root's .bash_profile for each
> different architecture.

This was my original idea but you always need arch specific tweaks, and
since there's usually only one or a few people working on the port,
everyone does their own thing and simply takes from Slackware.
I personally find that my way works best for me - I have the original
Slackware script, and another script that diffs the latest and the
original.   I then merge anything needed into ARMedslack's scripts.
I just wouldn't have time to work with anybody else to maintain a
master source tree for all archs.

You sound like you're really into the porting business so it's good
to have someone else testing and working on this stuff :-)

I am currently looking to get more mirrors for ARMedslack;
ftp.armedslack.org is essentially useless now - I cannot even
get a login to the shell because the server is so overloaded
doing mirroring for other stuff.

ftp.slackware.pl is the most reachable uptodate host that I know of:
rsync -P ftp.slackware.pl::armedslack//armedslack-current/

I have more updates to push but I can't push them at the moment!
I'll speak to the admin of that server and ask him to mirror
from the real master (not ftp.as) so they can get up to date.

Cheers
s.

--
Stuart Winter