[ARMedslack] Quick question

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sun Mar 31 21:09:07 UTC 2013

> Incidentally Eric mentions the Chromebook as one of the reasons to port the
> hf. I did install a full rootfs of Armedslack (sf) on the Chromebook and it
> did work. I then gave up because of lack of feedback and because my unit
> was faulty.

Yep I'm writing this using WindowMaker with Slackware ARM on the
Chomebook.  I just used the miniroot and some Chromebook tweaks.
I'm planning on making Slackware ARM installable on the Chromebook - I've
already started laying the groundwork.

Slackware ARM will run on any 32-bit machine that's armv4 + thumb or
greater.  Slackware needs a hard float port as we're the only distro
without one, and given that ARM is becoming more prevalent it's (IMO)
important that Slackware is able to deliver max performance on the
machines with a hardware floating point unit -- allowing them to be able
to render multi media efficiently.

That said, for general usage (non multi media) I really don't think
there's much in it with soft vs hard float.  Running Firefox and some
other stuff on this Chromebook is *fast* even with the default Slackware
ARM packages.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: http://arm.slackware.com