[ARMedslack] Hello and questions about getting Slackware on the Raspberry Pi

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Wed Jun 20 08:07:08 UTC 2012

> I've no idea whether the installer works directly on that platform, but you can get the miniroot working as long as you have a working kernel for the hardware.
> Look at the bottomb section in the supported platforms ... there is a paragraph on "unofficially supported platforms". Look at them to get an idea as to how to go about getting slackware on the PI.
> Look at the mailing list archives as recently I recall someone else wrote they were working on getting slackware on the PI.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6132&start=25

There are some howtos and notes on that thread - although it's unofficial.

Jawkins will receive his RPi soon so we (or I) might have a look at doing
something official, since he won't use his RPi anyway ;-)

But tbh I'm not sure whether I want to support this device officially
(in-tree) because the RPi doesn't support initrds which means potentially
a big change to how I build the kernels and modules packages;
it needs a pre-made image rather than being setup via the installer (as
the installer is an initrd, albeit a large one).

I have briefly pondered a script to RPI-ify the 'miniroot', and include
some instructions.  I'm not sure how I'd handle the kernels yet - but if
support isn't in the vanilla kernel, I'd most likely keep the RPi out of
tree until it's supported without requiring patches.