[ARMedslack] Seagate Dockstar device questions

Richard Lapointe richard.lapointe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 01:15:25 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 11:46 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
>>> Not to answer *that* question I wouldn't.
>>>
>>> The dockstar is supported in the way that a kernel is supplied that runs
>>> on that device.
>>>
>>> Much to my disgust, someone on this list used one of those pointless
>>> devices ;-)
>>> See-
>>>
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/search?q=dockstar&l=armedslack%40lists.armedslack.org
>> Well you would be really disgusted with me.  I've got three Dockstars all
>> running ARMedSlack 13.37.  And to make it worst, I've got two Pogoplugs E02
>> running current.  On all of these devices I loaded Jeff Doozan uboot, so no
>> real problem with hacking the boot loader.
>>
>> Rich Lapointe

> Hello!
> Rich is this the article that you followed?http://projects.doozan.com/debian/
Yes, but I don't use the Debian install.   I use the uboot installation
instructions that are linked to in the first line of your reference
link.  Here the direct link. http://projects.doozan.com/uboot/. The
uboot that this installs was recently updated to work with kernels 3.1
and greater. I also installed Jeff's Rescue System,
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,7915. I find it easier to use for
installing ARMedSlack than stock firmware.
>   Granted he is talking about that cluster of Penguins in back of our
> group and slightly to the left of he router community. But for my
> efforts that one makes sense. I'm leaning towards putting a
> Slackware-13.37 system on it, but, ah, what space requirements should
> I take into consideration?
I use USB hard drives (anywhere between 80G to 600G) with all my
Dockstars and Pogoplugs, so i don't have to worry about space
requirements.  I recall installing on a 4 G flash drive without problems.
My general partition scheme is as follows:

sda1    /           ext3     ( can be anywhere between 2 to 20 G)
sda2                swap    (i still follow the old rule of thumb of 2x ram)
sda3   /home   ext4     (size depends on what i planning to do with it)
sda4    -  logical disk to take up the reaming disk space if any

In order not to have to screw with the uboot variables, the root file
systems needs to be on sda1.  Although most instruction indicate the the
root files system need to be ext2, ext3 works fine.
To install ARMedSlack I just untar the mini root file system in sda1,
edit fstab to work with the partitioning scheme and add the following
sym links to /boot
ln  -s uinitrd-kirkwood uInitrd
ln -s uImage-kirkwood uImage

As Stuart said your going to need to to install ntp and make the
appropriate changes in ntp.conf.  The network is setup to run dhcp, but
I suggest that you set up a static ip so that you will not have to hunt
for the ip address to ssh in after the first boot.

Rich Lapointe