[ARMedslack] Armedslack on the Efika i.MX515 (ARM Cortex-A8 800MHz)

lee jones slothpuck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 21:03:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Ottavio <pr0f3ss0r1492 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 4 September 2011 23:37, Ottavio <pr0f3ss0r1492 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On 3 September 2011 17:34, Ottavio <pr0f3ss0r1492 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>  the mx smartbook needs its down driver called xf86-video-imx
> >
> > If you want to try yopur hand at it:
> > http://gitorious.org/xf86-video-imx

> > I am not sure if this is what you are lloking for but the driver
> > libz160.so.1.0 is here:
> > http://packages.efikamx.info/pool/main/libz/libz160/
> >
> > You'd have to convert it to a slackware package though
> >

> More stuff (both binary and source) is here:
>
> http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX53_SW&parentCode=IMX53QSB&fpsp=1
>
> You need an account with Freescale. I don't know how long it takes, I
> haven't tried. Good luck!
>
> --
> Ottavio
>

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Gave compiling a go but it looks like it requires all kinds of extra bits
and pieces. Really I don't have a clue on how to do it x.x !

Intrestingly enough though .... I have managed to get X running - albeit
very slowly by using the vesa driver.  After getting nowhere trying to
compile that driver (I lack the knowledge to do so!) I wondered what might
happen if I just tried running "xorgsetup" . Intrestingly enough this worked
and it appears to be using some sort of vesa driver. Didn't know this was
possible -- I always thought vesa was x86 only.

Right now I'm trying out xfce4 (armedslack 13.1). Here's what I've found so
far;

* Screen redrawing can be a problem sometimes but can be fixed. For example
opening a window and then minimising it might loose part of the background
with (say) the "home" icon on it, moving a window over the affected area and
back again restores it. This *dosen't* happen all the time however.

* Playing a small video file in xine worked. It was rather slow and stuttery
but played ok.

* Firefox runs slowly but is usable.

ljones

--