[ARMedslack] guruplug update

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Mon May 24 20:06:29 UTC 2010

> > you won't be the only person who's going to have a problem.  As with the
> > Sheevaplug, someone hopefully will come up with a decent u-boot patch set
> > and produce a binary.
>
> Well when I'm finished with the thing, I'll have a JFFS2 (or UBI) fs flashed
> and I'll be loading from nand.   But I wanted to let you know what I saw.

You might want to try this u-boot:

http://people.debian.org/~schizo/guruplug/u-boot.kwb-42f7128c1a4b3bfcb97a12df0c764efe439b5bbd

This was posted on debian-arm today, and apparently was built from
good sources.

> > Apparently this is because of setterm:
> > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/screen-blanking-out-582748/
>
> Oh!  I never thought about that.

Me neither --  I was surprised when I saw the answer.
I have never seen this problem on the SheevaPlug, Versatile or OpenRD
client.

> > If you comment out the "setterm" line in rc.M, I wonder if that fixes the
> > udev problem?
>
> This probably wont concern me then as my goal is to boot directly to the root
> FS without initrd with a custom kernel.  But again.  Just wanted to give you
> feedback on what I saw with 13.1.

Thanks -- I don't think your Guruplug experience is going to be isolated
to you, so it's good to get a heads up in advance.
I don't plan to release Slackware ARM 13.1 until the 1st week of June, so
there's still a bit of time left to do something with the Guruplug.

I'm curious whether linux 2.6.34 would work for you, if you can get the
guruplug patches to apply.
I don't know of anything in the kirkwood kernel included in Slackware ARm
that would cause the problem you see on the Guruplug though; but if you
have a different experience using the same kernel sources but with a
different .config, that would be interesting.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org