[ARMedslack] A quick primer for the PI

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Thu Sep 26 07:13:42 UTC 2013

Where can I get more details on how the PI boots ?

Does the GPU get properly initialized right away ? can I see the kenel booting on the HDMI output ? or do I need a serial console for that ?

So all the other files are not necessary for booting ?

COPYING.linux and LICENCE.broadcom are probabbly there for the boot code ... I'm sure I can omit them safely.

But what about fixup.dat , fixup_cd.dat and start_cd.elf ?

I don't really want to do the install thing as I generally prefer to start from a miniroot and add what I need rather then answring a lot of questions, tinkering with tagfiles or installing everything.
On a PC with 1Tb of mass storage installing everything just to going fast is ok ... but on slower hardware with slower flash storage I really prefer the miniroot way.

Regards
David