[ARMedslack] Slackware ARM 14.1,rc1 released

Richard Lapointe richard.lapointe at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 15:20:33 UTC 2013

Stuart,

First thanks for all the work you put into Slackwarearm, it's really
appreciated here.

Just want to let you know that I successfully updated a couple of my
Dockstar with 14.1 RC1. Update is really the wrong word as these were
essentially  fresh installs using the installer.  This is what I do from
a running 14.0 on my Dockstar.

1) Wget the kirkwood initrd from the isolinux directory of current along
with the kirkwood kernel from the kernel directory
2) Copy both of them into the /boot directory of my running 14.0 fs on
/dev/sda1
3) Because I use Doozan uboot which looks for uImage and uInitrd on
sda1, I  need to make symlinks to both of these files using uImage and
uInitrd in /boot.
4) Reboot into the installer and do a normal ftp install from there on a
reformatted sda1 (i.e deleted 14.0 fs)

A couple of things that I noticed.
1) Dockstars do not have real time clocks so one of the first things
that needs to be done is to get the correct time.  If I simple uncomment
the "server ntp.org iburst" line in the stock ntp.conf file and restart
ntp it does not adjust the clock at all.  After adding these line in the
file:
  server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
  server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
  server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst
  server 3.pool.ntp.org iburst
and then restart ntpd, the clock updates in a few seconds and all is
well. I just want to understand if I doing something wrong with just
uncommenting the line in ntp.conf or if I will always need to add those
lines to get a working ntpd.

2) This morning I did a "slackpkg update-all" and got the 3.10.17 kernel
update.  The package updated successfully deleting the 3.10.16 files and
installing the correct symlinks, but I did notice that the dtb-3.10.16
directory was not deleted although the dtb symlink was updated to point
to the dtb-3.10.17 directory.  Should the dbt-3.10.16 have been deleted?

Regards

Rich Lapointe (laprjns)