[ARMedslack] Slackware minirootfs on unsupported device wm8850

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sat May 11 08:42:54 UTC 2013

> Since I am a complete beginner with Slackware I would like to have
> some help how I get in a 1st step the network running on the minirootfs
> system.

I have had the latest available miniroot working with WiFi on the
Chromebook, so I know that the tools included in the miniroot are
sufficient.

> My ( sel-cross-compiled ) kernel ( 3.9.0-rc7 ) detects detects
> successfully a plugged in Logilink USB ALAN stick : ifconfig
> and iwconfig show wlan0
[..]

> I tried wpa_supplicant call with a wpa_supplicant.conf which runs
> fine under Debian but I got no connection.
>
> Have you any recommendation what I could/must do now to get WiFi
> running ?

Assuming that you've got the firmware available and loaded (which should
be the case if the interface shows up in 'ifconfig'), all I did was:

# cat << EOF > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
EOF

Then add the network ESSID and password to the wpa supplicant config:

# wpa_passphrase ESSID_of_access_point YourWPApass >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

In /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf, find the section beginning with this:

## Example config information for wlan0.  Uncomment the lines you need and fill
## in your data.  (You may not need all of these for your wireless
network)
IFNAME[4]="mlan0" ### this will change depending on your device's nic name
IPADDR[4]=""
NETMASK[4]=""
USE_DHCP[4]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[4]="icculus-wireless"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV[4]="no"
DHCP_KEEPNTP[4]="no"
DHCP_KEEPGW[4]="no"
DHCP_IPADDR[4]=""
WLAN_ESSID[4]=YOURESSID
WLAN_MODE[4]=Managed
WLAN_RATE[4]="54M auto"
WLAN_CHANNEL[4]="auto"
WLAN_KEY[4]="YOURWLANKEY"
#WLAN_IWPRIV[4]="set AuthMode=WPAPSK | set EncrypType=TKIP | set
WPAPSK=YOURWLAKEY"
WLAN_WPA[4]="wpa_supplicant"
WLAN_WPADRIVER[4]="wext"
WLAN_WPAWAIT[4]=10

You'll need to look through that to make sure you have the correct
settings, then you can run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and it should bring up your
WLAN NIC.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: http://arm.slackware.com