[ARMedslack] Strange problem installing Slackware 14.0 on the Raspberry Pi

Michael Langfinger slackware at langfinger.org
Fri May 10 07:36:15 UTC 2013

 Hi Stanley,

 the USB flash drive was mounted to /floppy and the repository was
 available at /floppy/slackwarearm-14.0/slackware. The installer did find
 the package files there, and I was able to select the packages from the
 menu. I didn't mount the SD card manually, i was referring to where the
 installer mounted the RootFS partition of the SD card (in this case,
 mmcblk0p3 was mounted to /mnt).

 Anyway, I was able to install Slackware in the meantime, using a FTP
 server as package source. So I think that the problem is related either
 to a hardware incompability with the USB flash drive or a simple
 hardware defect of the flash drive. I didn't consider this possibility
 at first, because the error message pointed me to a problem with the SD
 card and because the installer was able to retrieve the package list
 from the drive without a problem.

 Speaking of the installer, I don't know if the behaviour in this case
 is useful. The installer quits telling the user that the installation
 was successful, although it wasn't; additionally, the important error
 messages that might help the user to find the cause for the problem just
 pop up for less than a second and then disappear; they don't get logged
 anywhere (neither in the syslog nor in one of the temporary files of the
 installer, which are created in /mnt during the installation process). I
 had to run the installer several times just to be able to puzzle
 together the error message(s).

 Regarding the date problem: Unfortunately I forgot to check if this
 also happened after the successful installation (in this case it
 wouldn't be related to the installation problem). Maybe I will be able
 to test that later this day.

 Kind regards,
 Michael Langfinger