[ARMedslack] Prompts and Slackware (general not necessarily ARM related)

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Mon Jun 17 14:35:37 UTC 2013

>>> Hello!

>>> Earlier today I had my Slackware (on Intel) system uninstall system.
>>> Its installer removal program told me that I'd need to log out and log
>>> back in before there would be any changes seen. Well I did that. On
>>> logging back in I saw that the process had eaten the prompt.
>>>
>>> It replaced the <user name>@<machine name> that's been a mainstay of
>>> Linux since I first started using the OS many years earlier, with just
>>> the shell name. Which is of course Bash.
>>>
>>> I don't suppose all of you have any ideas for recovering things,
>>> outside of reinstalling the works? In that eventually I made sure I
>>> had downloaded a fresh DVD image of Slackware, and of the version that
>>> the system is currently running. And I'm making plans for backing up
>>> everything important that I put on the system since it was installed
>>> about two years ago December. I also asked on a list that I fellow I
>>> know runs where everyone runs everything else, and advice is rarely
>>> Slackware friendly.
>>> -----
>>> Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
>>> "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."
>> I haven't used slackware on intel for some time but I'm not aware of a
>> system uninstall utility, unless you mean uninstalling a single package.
>
>Hello!
>It was the installer for QNX a Posix based Real Time OS who claims to
>be running on a lot of business based systems. I sometimes try to
>build images for applications that are slightly above the norm.

>You're close enough Stuart, it was the installer mechanism for that
>product who crashed things. Earlier I did find the original profile
>saved as profile.backup and copied it back, and noted that it was
>setup as an empty file when the thing was removed.

>I also did restore the etc area and noted the presence of profile.new
>as well. Mine was the backup named file.

I'm beginning to think that since kernel.org was hacked that things just are not the same ....
I'm seeing more and more often "segmentation fault" and "memory fault" in bash scriprs.
Now it's odd that a script that executes only internal or userland commands exibits a segmentation fault that as far as I recall means that a program is accessing memory that is not pertinent to that program.

Should not bash and the GNU userland (shippet with stable distributions) be immune to this sort of problem ?

Ciao
David