[ARMedslack] Prompts and Slackware (general not necessarily ARM related)

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 18:19:10 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2013 4:50 PM, "Gregg Levine" <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>> Earlier today I had my Slackware (on Intel) system uninstall system.
>> Its installer removal program told me that I'd need to log out and log
>> back in before there would be any changes seen. Well I did that. On
>> logging back in I saw that the process had eaten the prompt.
>>
>> It replaced the <user name>@<machine name> that's been a mainstay of
>> Linux since I first started using the OS many years earlier, with just
>> the shell name. Which is of course Bash.
>>
>> I don't suppose all of you have any ideas for recovering things,
>> outside of reinstalling the works? In that eventually I made sure I
>> had downloaded a fresh DVD image of Slackware, and of the version that
>> the system is currently running. And I'm making plans for backing up
>> everything important that I put on the system since it was installed
>> about two years ago December. I also asked on a list that I fellow I
>> know runs where everyone runs everything else, and advice is rarely
>> Slackware friendly.
>> -----
>> Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
>> "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."

> I haven't used slackware on intel for some time but I'm not aware of a
> system uninstall utility, unless you mean uninstalling a single package.

Hello!
It was the installer for QNX a Posix based Real Time OS who claims to
be running on a lot of business based systems. I sometimes try to
build images for applications that are slightly above the norm.

You're close enough Stuart, it was the installer mechanism for that
product who crashed things. Earlier I did find the original profile
saved as profile.backup and copied it back, and noted that it was
setup as an empty file when the thing was removed.

I also did restore the etc area and noted the presence of profile.new
as well. Mine was the backup named file.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com