[ARMedslack] Prompts and Slackware (general not necessarily ARM related)

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sat Jun 15 17:47:37 UTC 2013

> Earlier today I had my Slackware (on Intel) system uninstall system.

What is this, exactly?
I am assuming that you got some 3rd party software that installed via
(typically) a shell script, and now you've uninstalled it using the same
script.

> It replaced the <user name>@<machine name> that's been a mainstay of
> Linux since I first started using the OS many years earlier, with just
> the shell name. Which is of course Bash.

It's screwed up your user's profile script (~/.bash* files), or if you ran
the installer as root, then it could have edited the system-wide profile script - probably
either deleted something from /etc/profile.d, or maybe broken
/etc/profile.

mozes at kermit:~$ grep -r PS1 /etc/profile*
/etc/profile:#PS1='`hostname`:`pwd`# '
/etc/profile: PS1='! $ '
/etc/profile: PS1='! ${PWD/#$HOME/~}$ '
/etc/profile: PS1='%n@%m:%~%# '
/etc/profile: PS1='$ '
/etc/profile: PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ '
/etc/profile:export PATH DISPLAY LESS TERM PS1 PS2

My /etc/profile is the standard Slackware one which checks which shell
you're running, and if it's anything that isn't ksh, ash and some others,
it sets PS1 to the user at machine.

You might want to look at the 'etc' package (in 'a' series) for your
particular Slackware release.  If you unpack it and copy the
'etc/profile.new' file into /etc/profile, it'd restore the original file.
However, given that I have no idea what the 'uninstall' system did, it
might simply have modified your local user file.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: http://arm.slackware.com