[ARMedslack] Raspberry Pi support for Slackware ARM 14.1

dowelld at netscape.net dowelld at netscape.net
Sun Jun 2 10:09:17 UTC 2013

From: stanley garvey <stanley at stanleygarvey.com>

To: Slackware ARM port <armedslack at lists.armedslack.org>; stanley <stanley at stanleygarvey.com>
Sent: Sat, Jun 1, 2013 8:39 pm
Subject: Re: [ARMedslack] Raspberry Pi support for Slackware ARM 14.1

On May 30, 2013 08:34 stanley at stanleygarvey.com wrote:

Hi

Since Slackware 14.1 is coming together, could all of you who
plan on preparing and distributing support for Slackware ARM
14.1 for the RaspberryPi please reply to this message (on-list) with the
following information.  I will collate it and put it into the
/INSTALL_RASPBERRYPI.TXT document within the release.

Note that this is *only* for those of you who are supplying
images/installers that contain the _official_ Slackware ARM packages which
will be taken from ftp.arm.slackware.com/slackwarearm/slackwarearm-14.1.

1. The URL of the web site containing information about your
distribution.

2. Installation method: regular installer / pre-supplied image(s)

If it's a pre-supplied image, what categories of software are
included:

Don't list every package, but a high level brief description such as:

dev tools ('d')

- Compilers and toolchain tools
- Python, Perl

X11 ('x')

- X packages relevant to the Rpi

KDE ('kde')
- All of KDE
- Base components of KDE

3. RPi boards / versions of boards that your distribution has been
tested with and confirmed operational.

4. The particular reason for choosing yours over another.  Some of the
reasons that some people have created their own image is because Dave
Spencer's work stopped at 13.37, or theirs addressed particular
problems on certain boards.

Please note that this shouldn't be a reason for the 14.1 release -
you should treat this as new rather than a patch to someone else's
work (even
if that's what it started out as).

Deadline:
---------

I'll stop taking submissions at the release of RC1 of Slackware 14.1 x86.

Any questions - please ask!

Cheers
Stuart.

--
Stuart Winter
www.slackware.com/~mozes

Hi Stuart
Judging by the avalanche of submissions, it would look I am alone in supporting Slackware on the RPi - ( Hello! - cue hall type reverb and tumbleweed).
However my site gets two or three hits a day regarding slackberry, so somebody's interested.
The issue with udev renaming eth0 to eth1 is documented on the site. I need to fix this but given to udevs labariynthine nature I may require a ball of string. I may be some time.

Hi Stanley,

I got rid of the problem of eth0 -> eth1 udev renaming on the images I create by using the slackware supported standard /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown_local script to remove the
70-persistent-net.rules file whenever a shutdown is run. I use it for a whole load of other stuff as well, but removing it on shutdown makes the images I create portable across boxes.

I'll chip in on the providing stuff where I have something to offer, but whatever I chip in will be additions to the standard slackware stuff (I prefer to keep the appliances I create as standard as possible and just add stuff to it).

I can't help wondering if what we really need for all of these community supported platforms is one standard site (maybe a subdomain from slackwarearm), done like a wiki type site, where each community supported platform can have it's own section, and those who contribute can sign up to have editing/uploading permissions.
I have webspace, and bandwidth  I can donate to that, but I don't have the time to setup and run such a site.