[ARMedslack] Generic Allwinner Slackware installer, was: Announcing Fedora 19 ARM remix for Allwinner SOCs release 1, now with A20 support (fwd)

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sun Jul 28 08:52:03 UTC 2013

> > I noticed RPi patches also not making it into kernel.org. Last weekend
> > I tried to compile a generic 3.10.1 kernel for the RPi and it failed
> > to boot. Rather than patch kernel source for a specific ARM target,
> > are we expected to use the generic kernel and build a device tree
> > binary?

That's the idea, yes except that you wouldn't have to build the device
tree blob since if support is compiled into the kernel for that device,
then the DTB would already have been built and would be provided with the
kernel package.  The DTBs are generated by kernel.SlackBuild for the
specific architectures, so once additional support is added, the
architecture name will need to be appended to the list for the specific
kernel.

I tried to build an armv6 and armv7 generic kernel, but since the base
line is set to armv6, when armv7 code begins to build, it fails since the
ARMv6 CPUs cannot execute v7 instructions.  I don't understand why you can
select both CPUs in this case.  You need to select ARMv7 to choose the
hardware that has a v7 CPU.  I guess the whole thing isn't entirely
complete yet, or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you can do with it.
Needless to say, I'm building a ganeric armv7 kernel now.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: http://arm.slackware.com